Friday, August 17, 2007

Update from Cindy at the Kentucky Horse Park

To John Henry’s Loyal Fans:

3:15pm Friday, August 17, 2007

We just wanted to let you know that despite rumors to the contrary, John Henry is doing just fine! He has been receiving fluid therapy this week, which his veterinarian prescribed as a precautionary measure, to make sure he is getting the electrolytes he needs during this record heat wave. His blood work from this morning came back in the normal range and the plan is to discontinue the fluids after today’s dose. He was out for a walk today. He is eating his hay voraciously, and has been all week, although like most animals and people who are outside in this excessive heat, he is not eating as much as usual. Also like most animals and people who are outside right now, he is moving slower than usual and has lost a minor amount of weight from sweating. He receives daily medications for Cushings, which he has been on since he was diagnosed with the disease 1 ½ years ago. He has always exercised himself in the paddock, so it was not necessary to provide additional exercise until recently. I would respectfully suggest that all of us who love John Henry should rejoice that he has been graciously and generously granted 32 years of life and a resurgence of health and vitality, many years beyond his life expectancy. Every day is a gift. Let’s be very grateful and enjoy each moment!

Thank you Cindy for the detailed update! We all appreciate hearing the great news!

Dr. John

22 comments:

Anonymous said...

To all John Henry fans and horse fans, too, keep all of them in your prayers. I know most of you want to see John~John for his 33rd birthday! God love 'em...XOXO Judy

Dr. John said...

Judy and all,

It is marked on my calendar, March 9, 2008!

Dr. John

Anonymous said...

Hello, I just wanted to say how much I enjoyed reading about John Henry in the article from Bloodhorse, written by Erin Ryder; Alex Brown posted a link on his webiste, www.alexbrownracing.com for us, the Fans of Barbaro to check out:)

It brought tears to my eyes...such a 'happy' story about this old guy! And Barbara Rattarree has certainly endeard herself to me and I'm sure, many other FsOB! I am SO happy to read such a heartwarming story about a retired race horse being so well cared for and LOVED:)

Live Long, Live Happy John Henry!!

Dr. John said...

Hi Lynne,

Thank you for your comments! John is quite an amazing horse! I agree, the article by Erin Ryder was excellent!

Barbara, Cathy and everyone else at the Kentucky Horsepark are to be commended for their dedicated care, service and love to these beautiful horses!

Dr. John

Denise- LessIsMore17 said...

I just came across this blog as I was looking for info for my own blog-(I started a blog for my horse after his colic surgery) I just did a post of comparing my horse to John Henry:-) ha ha
I saw John on Saturday and he looked good even though he was getting his fluids- what a legend, I LOVE his stories.
Thanks for the blog!

Dr. John said...

Hi Denise,

Thanks for stopping by! Lester looks great! What a cutie!

Best,

Dr. John

Denise- LessIsMore17 said...

Thank you Dr. John for stopping by Lester's blog and signing the guest book!- I've sent John's to all my friends.

I have a question as to what kind of colic did JH have? I read where he had 3 ft of his intestines removed- was it small or large intestines?

allinfun said...

Thanks for starting this blog. I love knowing the old timers are doing well. Especially John Henry.

Anonymous said...

I loved that Bloodhorse article and immediately printed it for another John Henry fan. What a great idea to let him explore KHP, and I can just see him enjoying his time in the spotlight at the All Breeds Show. And thanks, Cindy, for the happy update. You're sure right: every day is a gift.

Dr. John said...

Hi Readyforthestart,

John Henry is doing well, thanks for stopping by.

Dr. John

Dr. John said...

Hi Edie,

I agree, the article was great! Thanks for stopping by!

Dr. John

Anonymous said...

Make sute you look at Blood-Horse's 8-25-07 issue! A 32 year old race horse on the front cover! Way to go John!

Never Say Never Greyhounds said...

Ok, who is Dr. John? I've read through the blog and I can't figure it out :-).

Jennifer

Dr. John said...

Thanks Steve!

Dr. John

Dr. John said...

Hi Jennifer,

I am Dr. John, the originator of John Henry's blog site.

Dr. John

Never Say Never Greyhounds said...

But who are you, Dr. John? Are you an just an avid fan? How are you connected to John Henry? What kind of Dr. are you? Jen

Anonymous said...

That's great to hear. John's always been one of my favourite racehorses. Who knows, he may outlive us all!

Dr. John said...

Hi Alycia,

Thanks for stopping by John's blog site! We all hope John lives another 32 years!

By the way I live in Toledo.

Dr. John

johnsfan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
johnsfan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

For several years I have been coming down to see him twice sometimes 3 times; just to sit and watch him and watch his grace his attitude, if you really looked into his eyes you saw the true beauty of this wonderful horse , by looking he helped me find peace, he helped me find hope but most of all he helped me beleive. Thank you all at the KY horse park for taking such good care of him, for the past several months having him out to rome and find to friends..he will remain a silient hero in my heart forever, may he rest in peace and win the big one in the sky! loved him. lwendel

Dr. John said...

Hi Linda W,

Thank you very much for your comments. I agree, I would watch and learn from John for hours. He was a great teacher!

Dr. John